Skip to content

Legal Stuff

Do you need a license?

If you’re raising money, selling or doing something in a public place, you’ll probably need to get permission or a licence. There are licences to cover a whole host of things - including public entertainment, collections, and food or alcohol. Contact your local authority for advice on what you need.

Public Collections

It’s illegal to carry out house-to-house collections or collections on the public street without a license. You’ll need to get one from your local council. All collectors must be at least 16 years old. You can ask CALM for a letter of authority before you start collecting to show you are collecting.

Private Collections

If you’re planning to collect on private premises you’ll need written permission from the owner or manager. Keep this with you while collecting. Some popular places, like supermarkets, train stations and pubs, might need extra permissions from the local authority, so check before you start making plans.

Raffles and Lotteries

Raffles might seem simple enough, but there’s some rules to abide by. If you spend more than £100 on the costs of your raffle, you are selling tickets before your event, or you plan to draw winners after your event finishes, then you’ll need a licence from your local authority, as well as printed tickets.

Remember not to allow children to enter raffles, competitions or games where the prize is alcohol. If you want to know more about organising a raffle or lottery, consult your local council or visit the Institute of Fundraising.


Response can’t accept liability for any event or fundraising activity you undertake. If you’re planning an activity that involves the general public you should consider public liability insurance. Insurers will probably want to see a risk assessment.

If you’re holding an event at a venue which already has liability insurance (pubs, venue hire, sports halls etc.), their insurance may cover your event, so check that they have the appropriate level of cover for your activity.


Keep It safe

Here’s some pointers to help make sure your event is safe for everyone.

  • We hope you don’t need to use it, but always carry a first aid kit!
  • Familiarise yourself and everyone attending with any fire protocols and procedures. Make sure you know where the fire exits are located.
  • Hiring a venue? Make sure the equipment provided is safe to use.
  • It’s a good idea to carry out a risk assessment before your event to identify any potential hazards.
  • If in doubt contact your local authority or visit for advice and free resources.

Food And Drink

If food is available at your event, food safety laws apply. Ensure you follow food hygiene procedures, which you can find along with advice at

If alcohol is served at your event or activity make sure your venue has the appropriate licence.

Managing Cash

When you’re counting any cash you’ve raised or collected, make sure another person is with you. This is to ensure you both agree on the totals and avoid any confusion. Keep any cash you collect secure and bank it as soon as possible after your event/activity.


Portion of Sales

If you specify that you are donating £X per sale or X% per sale, we need you to sign a standard commercial participator agreement, so please let us know. A quicker and easier way is to simply say this event is in support of Response and know for yourself what you are going to donate.

Still Unsure?

If you've got any more questions please don't hesitate to contact us

We use cookies to give you the best experience of using this website. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies. Please read our Cookie Policy for more information.