When I first started working in mental healthcare as a young man, it wasn’t a place filled with hope or focused on recovery and giving people agency to live their lives to the fullest. Although there is still a way to go, I am proud that Response has been a part of the culture shift around addressing mental health. Mental health illness, in all its forms, is affecting more people than ever before. For over 50 years, we have been innovating, adapting and providing high-quality services in the field and now operate across the Thames Valley and down to the South Coast. From Housing to Support and from Sports to Education, our 360 Model delivers a holistic recovery-focused package that works.
Living with, and recovering from, mental health illness needs more than clinical intervention and therapy. We believe, and have learned, that people need to find balance, hope and ways to grow. That’s why we have developed our 360 Model to provide a spectrum of activities that will support, inspire and open more doors to the future for our service users.
Having recognised the success of our Adult Mental Health partnership and the lack of pre-existing charities in the arena, we expanded into Children and Young People. We are now at the point where we are one of the largest children and young people charities in the Thames valley, something I am very proud of. We are also doing some exciting work in Avon and Wiltshire, expanding our services, including the Mental Wealth Academy, into new areas and looking to embed a culture of support through apprenticeships and other opportunities.
It is an exciting time for Response and none of these opportunities would be possible without the hard work of our staff. We are moving from not only caring for the users of our services to empowering them to become independent and move on from Response. I’m proud of our focus on recovery, and you can see this throughout our services. We believe in the power of change and that every life, no matter the difficulties faced, can be made richer and more fulfilling. Our staff, resources, experience, properties, and creativity all combine to deliver real, person-centred, outcomes.
- Today we provide housing, support and positive activity for 364 people who live with mental health illness. We actively manage over 70 properties of our own and work with an extensive network of housing associations and private landlords.
- We employ, respect and nurture 187 brilliant staff across our regions (a growth of 25% in 2015/16). You can read more about why people love working for us here.
- Our 360 Model delivers a range of options and support from appropriate housing to education and from employment & training to sports and social activities
- We believe in the power of partnership: We play a central role in Oxfordshire Mental Health Partnership. We’re also a key partner of Berkshire Health NHS Foundation Trust and have recently won a bid in partnership to reconfigure forensic services across the South East of England.
- Since 2015 Response have been the leading partner, along with Oxford Health CAMH’s and the CCG to strategically deliver our vision for transforming children’s services.
To find our more please contact us on 01865 397940 or email [email protected]